Monday, September 7, 2015

PROMPTINGS = POWER           

Oi! Tudo bem?! Ok so today is Brazilian Independence day and EVERYTHING shuts down. And I mean everything so I'm at the bishops house using a tablet to write you.  Thank you SO much for the amazing package I got last week! I may or may not have shed a tear opening it and seeing all of my favorite snacks. Ok, I shed tears, not gunna lie. You know me so well it’s insane mom. I love you.
This week was great! My comp is starting to be more positive, thank goodness. She only has 3 months left in her mission so she is very much thinking about home. It is awful and super frustrating for me. She is a very special person and it’s great working with her because we feel the spirit the same way. We are learning a lot together. It’s so funny because I'm teaching her English and her accent is so strong!
E. and R. will receive their wedding papers soon and we are fasting and praying that E. will be baptized soon and that they can get married fast. S. and L. also will receive their papers around the same time, so we are planning on having 2 marriages and 2 baptisms the same day! I am dying! God is so good.
Tuesday we were walking down the street and I felt the impression to visit one of our investigators, J., but my comp was complaining that it was dark and far from our house.  I still felt the spirit telling me that we needed to visit her so I convinced my comp. We taught J. about the Restoration. The moment I started to talk about Joseph Smith and his first vision, the room got completely silent. The spirit was so powerful. She burst into tears. She told us she can’t believe the feelings she was having and that she wants to be baptized. The spirit is real. I am so grateful that I followed the promptings I had and that I was given the words to say to let the spirit teach her and touch her heart.  This work is really only the spirit. I read Alma 29:8-10  

(For behold, the Lord doth grant unto all nations, of their own nation and tongue, to teach his word, yea, in wisdom, all that he seeth fit that they should have; therefore we see that the Lord doth counsel in wisdom, according to that which is just and true. I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy. And behold, when I see many of my brethren truly penitent, and coming to the Lord their God, then is my soul filled with joy; then do I remember what the Lord has done for me, yea, even that he hath heard my prayer; yea, then do I remember his merciful arm which he extended towards me.)

the other day and remembered when I read these verses before the mission and how now they have a completely different meaning for me. I know that Heavenly Father helps his servants learn languages all across the world so they can bless those specific people. As I have spiritual experiences every day here and watch the gospel transform lives, I am reminded of the moments when I wanted to scream out the gospel to the whole world. This gospel truly is the key to happiness and our map back home to our Father. I am so grateful that I was one of the few chosen of the many that were called to serve as a full time missionary. I know that he leads us. I testify that the spirit is real. As a missionary, I have seen that He literally speaks to me, puts thoughts into my head, tells me what words to speak, and directs my steps.  I cannot deny it. I know this church is true without any doubt and Christ guides it still like when He was here before. I love you all and hope you have a great week!!
Sister Alena Porter



No comments:

Post a Comment